A lot of things have you raising an eyebrow in morocco, but here are my small annoyances and ‘really?’s:
– one roll of toilet paper in your hotel…maybe two for 3 days.
– no toilet paper AT ALL in some bathrooms. And no bidet.
– having to pay to use a literal hole in the ground. I mean, sure, there are lots of places that don’t have toilets, but the whole paying to pee over a hole with a floor that is soaking wet….I’ll hold it.
– honestly, just their whole bathroom situation.
– 1-2 towels for 3 days for two people. I’m talking that’s it. That’s your hand towel and your body towel and your hair towel. Perhaps it’s time to invest in a travel towel.
– the lack of lighting. The lanterns are adorable, but my shitty eyes can’t adjust with low lighting and it seems that mood lighting is Morocco’s jam. This may just be my own issue, but a WTF moment it is.
– sexism, but not what we’re used to. I.e. no one helps me with my baggage, but only my husbands’. If we’re going to have to deal with sexism, let’s have the kind that actually makes it so men have to do everything for us lowly females.
This is honestly a whole issue that is more than just a WTF, but when you’re in a country where you can get arrested for the simplest thing as a woman, you tend not to rock the boat. Therefore, this is a WTF moment of annoyance.
– no easy access to come and go in some Riads. We had to knock or ring a bell to be let in every single time. If that doesn’t make you feel like you need to be at home, in bed, by 9 I don’t know what does. I mean, that’s usually my favourite thing, but not necessarily when traveling. Got those insta-worthy photos, though.
– being asked if I’ve slept well when there’s cat fights, dogs barking, roosters crowing, and the a/c and/or fan doesn’t work in our room. Thank-you for asking, but did you?
– metal detectors at hotel doors where they don’t actually do anything if it’s set off. Not once were we checked, or saw anyone else getting checked when the metal detector goes off in the fancy hotel we stayed at. And, it always went off.
– garbage. Garbage everywhere! It’s like an entire nation has given up on using trash cans and you can find every bit of nature and roadside covered in garbage. Whether it’s straight littering or just being blown off trucks or any other probable reason, it’s found everywhere. It’s heart-breaking to see so much trash strewn about, and even more heart-breaking, you get used to it.